Eviplera and champix together

Dear Doctor. Recently been diagnosed with HIV , now on medication. I take Eviplera once a day. Decided to quit smoking. I did use champix in the past, was great. Now I would like to do it again , but a bit scared in combination with Eviplera. Is it safe to take this two meds together? Thank you

Hello and thanks for posting.

Congratulations on wanting to quit smoking. Tobacco-related illnesses will likely cause an increased burden on the health of people living with HIV, especially in the era of antiretroviral therapy, where people don't succumb to AIDS complications, but have the ability to live for many decades, indeed possibly normal life expectancy. To this end, quitting smoking is probably one of the most important things to do for your health after staying engaged in your health care and adherent to your HIV medications.

There are no significant interactions between Champix (Chantix) and the HIV medications in Eviplera (Complera).

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes for you. BY

general advise
meds