How truvada works?

Hello doctor,

I was prescribed truvada only about a month ago. I took my first dose 11 hours after my potential risky sexual encounter as I did not know the persons status. I took all 28 doses religiously having never missed a dose and am now done with the prescription. From what I understand truvada prevents HIV (if present) from being able to reproduce. My question is, what happens after 28 days of truvada and the meds drop off. Will HIV be able to then be able to replicate or would it have died off or does something else happen? I know in reality my chances are very low that I was exposed in the first place but I'm a worrier and now can't stop thinking that now that I'm done with my doses of truvada, if I was exposed the virus is spreading and all I did was delay it.

Hello and thanks for posting your question about PEP.

PEP prevents HIV from establishing infection, so after the completion of the treatment, there is no HIV to replicate.

For more information about PEP, check out our Fact Sheet on AIDSInfonet.org.

BY

PEP timing
Ho far have they gone with prostratin research