Please clear my doubt

I am a Lab. Technician by profession.I got needle prick injury while collecting patient blood for CD4 count test.I forgot to wash my hand immediately by wash it after 10 mins after prick.I took PEP I.e zidovudine 300mg and Lamivudine 150mg after 6 hours of pricked.Do I have the risk or safe? please advice me. I am full of worriness after the accident. Thanking you alot sir

Hello and thanks for posting.

Post-exposure prophylaxis can be very effective in prevention of HIV after an exposure. Seems like you started on PEP very quickly- this, and being adherent to the medications is key to success.

Other factors include the viral load in the source patient (if undetectable, this is the lowest risk), type of needed (hollow, as I suspect is higher risk), was the needle visually contaminated with blood, how deep was the injury to you.

Nonetheless, these can be anxious times. Make sure to take your PEP medications, get regular HIV testing at 1 and 3 months after the exposure.

Be well, BY

Complera & Isentress
Once