Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

every other day Truvada
May 7, 2014

One year ago (after being on Truvada-Norvir-Reyataz for six years) I reduced the Truvada to every other day because of lowered kidney function. My labs then & now are undectable & a CD4 of 1300, but my renal labs have improved. It would be nice to continue with this - maybe for 2 - 3 - or 4- more years, for instance- as long as the VL remained under let's say 1000. Should I continue on with this plan?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

Many HIV medications, including Truvada are dosed depending on one's kidney function- measured by "creatinine clearance" or CrCl. Truvada is dosed every other day if your CrCl is between 30-49. If your kidney function has improved (ie., CrCl is 50 or more), then you should take Truvada daily.

Adhered-to regimens can remain active for many, many years. BTW, the goal of treatment isn't a VL of 1000, but rather a VL that's undetectable.

Hope that helps and be well, BY

Previous
switch from old med to new med back to old med?
Next
Medium term travelling - Malaria, Dengue, etc

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.