Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

considering Pep
May 1, 2014

1) i had unprotected anal sex with a positive man who's viral count is at zero (receiving and giving) and he has never missed a day of medication; he told me the chances of transmission are close to impossible especially since he did not ejaculate inside. But now i am having second thoughts. Should i go on it? 2) what are the serious side effects 3)how long do you take PEP a week(s), month?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting your question about PEP.

1) Having an undetectable viral load dramatically reduces the risk of HIV transmission. In one very large recent study, after about 45,000 sex events (about 15,000 without condoms), there were no HIV transmissions among couples where the positive partner had an undetectable viral load. The decision to go on PEP at this point is dependent on many additional factors- how much do you trust the statement of treatment status?

2,3) PEP is very effective in reducing risk of HIV infection if started within 72 hours of exposure- and is usually very well tolerated- provided that current, and modern regimens are used. The newest recommendations from the New York State Health Department AIDS Institute call for the use of Truvada + Isentress for 4 weeks. This regimen is remarkably well tolerated and rarely results in significant side effects or toxicity.

Hope that's helpful, BY

Previous
drug interaction
Next
Atriple to Tivicay & Kivexa

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.