Truvada only

Hello doctor, I had unprotected receptive anal sex. The top was only In me for about 1 minute and did not cum before I took him out and stopped it. There may have been precum. I went to the hospital and was prescribed truvada only. I took it 7 hours after exposure. I've never had any std before and was tested for everything and tested positive for gonorrhea in my rectum. This has really concerned me and want to know if I adhere to taking all 28 doses of truvada as prescribed, will this protect me from HIV?

Hello and thanks for posting.

There are a variety of guidelines for PEP treatments. Most include Truvada (tenofovir +FTC), some include a third medication- sometimes Kaletra, but more recently (and something I support) Isentress.

PEP is started within 72 hours of exposure (like you) and adhered to is very highly effective in preventing HIV infection.

Be well, BY

Is Atripla associated to lipodystrophy?
hiv transmission