St.John's wort and Sustiva

I was diagnosed 16 years ago with HIV. Blood work done on January 8, 2014 showed T Cells at 13 and viral load at 140,000. So my doctor started me on Atripla on January 15. Blood work done on march 15 showed T Cells at 108 and viral load at 60. Good. However blood work done on April 8 showed elevated liver enzymes. My doctor called me the next day and said I should sop Atripla for one week and get tested again on April 17 to see if the liver enzymes would go down. I did not stop Atripla because I am scared to get resistance. My question is, if my blood test comes high for liver enzymes on April 17, should I start taking St. John's Wort immediately to decrease the concentration of Sustiva in my blood quickly and decrease the possibility of acquiring resistance?

Hello and thanks for posting your interesting question.

I wouldn't recommend using St. John's wort to accelerate the metabolism of the efavirenz part of Atripla- if you're having toxcity questions, the last thing you'd want to do is add something else into the mix.

The risk of developing resistance is very low in your setting (being on treatment and having a very, very low viral load).

Best of health, BY

medication during pep
Viral Load