start haart immediately after acute infection?

Hi doctor.. i m newly diagnosed male staying in singapore. Right after an acute infection, my viral load was 2 million copies n cd4 295 (which I understand is normal for new infections). My doctor recommended me to start medication immediately for fear of "complications of viral attack on brains and kidney, according to latest US expert guidelines". However, I m kinda hesitant as I m only 29 and was hoping to delay the possible haart side effects as I m most likely to stay on medication for the next 40 years (optimistically). May I have your expert view on this please?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Given that current US guidelines recommend treatment independent of CD4 count and the possible and tantalizing benefits for starting treatment during acute infection, in my view, there's little reason not to start treatment.

HAART side effects are ever uncommon with today's much improved treatment options- and can often be avoided by thoughtful, individualized selection of medications and with appropriate monitoring in the clinic.

Hope that helps; let us know what you and your doctor decide. BY

Epzicom / 3TC
Atripla and drug interactions