Side effects trivenz

Hi Doc. I am a month into Trivenz and find that side effects take turns which might be good for me to handle. However, I want to know if I have a chance of ever getting the drowsiness out of the way? I take the pill at night and find that I am lightheaded middle of the night when I go for a pee. I see this drowsiness affecting my sexual life and social life in the long run. If I delay taking the pill, for instance at midnight, the drowsiness or lightheadeness takes almost the better part of my next morning to wear off and thus affects my social life.

I am in South Africa when one pill (combination treatment) is almost a year in its implementation. Are there other alternatives I can engage my dr on? Or I should just give my system time to adapt, maybe still too early for alarm bells?

Hello and thank you for posting from South Africa.

It seems clear that the side effects it's your reporting are related to the efavirenz component of Trivenz (Atripla). It's in Portland to know that the side effects can be worse if the efavirenz is taken with food- so perhaps taking the medication on an empty stomach may help decrease the severity of your symptoms.

For patients like you, we tend to look for alternative medications. There are a range of alternatives to efavirenz that are recommended first-line therapy here in the States. These include boosted protease inhibitors (atazanavir or darunavir) or any of the integrase inhibitors (raltegravir, elvitegravir or dolutegravir).

I hope that's helpful, BY

3TC/AZT to 3TC/TDF to 3TC/AZT again
Atripla, bloating