Second time on PEP - Will the same pep regimen work again?

Hi Dr. Young, for the second time in a year I find myself on on a month long PEP course. I am completely bothered by the fact that this is happening again. My encounter was with someone of unknown status and I was the receptive partner. Tge problem was a broken condom. When this happened last year I was prescribed Truvavda/Isentess and tolerated them well. I was prescribed the same course today. Should I be concerned about resistance? Should I be on a different combination? I am now 24 hours out from the potential exposure. Please help. Sincerely, Frankie

Hello Frankie and thank you for your post.

There's no reason why a second treatment course of post exposure prophylaxis won't work. If you remained HIV-negative after the first course of treatment and there's no issue with viral drug resistance.

So long as the postexposure prophylaxis medications or started within 72 hours of exposure their effectiveness is very high if taken with good adherence.

I should add that if you think that you are at repeated high-risk for HIV infection but you might consider preexposure prophylaxis as an alternative to episodic post-exposure prophylaxis.

I hope that helps and wish you well, BY.

What happens when your CD4 count drops to 0?
Atripla to Complera