Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

liver cancer to hiv
Apr 12, 2014

my brother just diagnose HIV positive 2 weeks ago but he diagnose first having a liver cancer 8 months ago he had a operation.after the operation and chemotheraphy we thought he will be ok but last month the doctors told us that he is HIV positive but before the operation he is negative to hepa b. we are confuse where did he got that HIV. he has also have pneumonia now and his cancer in the liver is continuing to progress...can my brother survive?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thank you for posting.

I'm sorry to learn about your brothers health challenges. It can be difficult to know when or where someone acquires HIV.

Your brother's prognosis depends on many factors though for the most part HIV in the setting is entirely treatable and should not determine his overall survival. Liver cancer of course, adds significant uncertainties but if his cancer doctors are optimistic about the success of his surgery and chemotherapy this also adds positive light to his prognosis.

I hope that helps in some small way and wish you and your brother well, BY

Previous
Is there really a cure for Hep C?
Next
What happens when your CD4 count drops to 0?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.