liver cancer to hiv

my brother just diagnose HIV positive 2 weeks ago but he diagnose first having a liver cancer 8 months ago he had a operation.after the operation and chemotheraphy we thought he will be ok but last month the doctors told us that he is HIV positive but before the operation he is negative to hepa b. we are confuse where did he got that HIV. he has also have pneumonia now and his cancer in the liver is continuing to progress...can my brother survive?

Hello and thank you for posting.

I'm sorry to learn about your brothers health challenges. It can be difficult to know when or where someone acquires HIV.

Your brother's prognosis depends on many factors though for the most part HIV in the setting is entirely treatable and should not determine his overall survival. Liver cancer of course, adds significant uncertainties but if his cancer doctors are optimistic about the success of his surgery and chemotherapy this also adds positive light to his prognosis.

I hope that helps in some small way and wish you and your brother well, BY

Is there really a cure for Hep C?
What happens when your CD4 count drops to 0?