Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Tested negative at 1 month

Hi, my step mum recently got diagnosed with hiv, this was a massive shock to me and also my dad. He tested roughly around 4 or 5 weeks after he last had inter course with my step mum. I would like to mention my dad has been with my step mum for around 7 years. She started showing immediate symptoms of HIV around 4 months prior to testing positive. Her Cd4 was 300 at first diagnosis and is now 85. Sorry for the long drawn out question, just want to know what you think are the chances of my father testing positive for hiv, as I said he tested negative around 1 month after exposure with his wife. Thanks again and I think everyone who gives answers on this forum Is a great help.

Hello and thanks for posting. It is gratifying to know that our site is helpful to you and your family.

Sorry to learn about your step mother. She appears to have very advanced HIV disease, if the CD4 count of 85 is confirmed. In any event, HIV treatment is recommended for her and should be both very well tolerated and effective in reversing the immune system damage.

As for your father, it's obviously a good thing that his HIV test was negative- but a test 3 months after his last possible exposure is considered definitive. Do know that after one achieves an undetectable viral load on treatment, the risk of HIV transmission is vanishingly low.

Be well, BY

Added benefits of ART?
Low CD4