Hi

My cd4 count is 18%, i am not sure about my viral load because only the cd4 test was done in my country.....I want to ask....I have been on Efavirenz for more than one month now, My question is what is my life expetancy with this 18% cd4? I await your urgent response on this. Thanks

Hello and thanks for posting.

A CD4 percentage of 18 correlates roughly to an absolute CD4 count of about 250. People who start HIV medications with lower CD4 counts are at greater risks of having complications- at least initially, but once counts are above 500-750, it appears that health risks are essentially the same as the general (HIV-) population.

While CD4 counts predict risk of death while not on treatment, you can't really use CD4s to do the same if you're on ART.

If you're taking ART with good adherence and see an increasing CD4 count (either percentage or absolute count), that's indicative that the medications are working. Assuming that this is the case, even though your immune system is still moderately suppressed (and therefore needing to heal more), then I'd expect you to have a long and healthy life.

Hope that helps, BY

Vaccine and monthly shots
Does PEP have therapeutic benefit for all retro-viruses?