Vaccine and monthly shots

Hi doc Benjamin! How are you? I was watching a brazilian TV channel a couple of weeks ago and I saw two news there. One was about a vaccine for HIV that was in development, being tested in monkeys and they said it will soon be tested in humans. Is this a real hope? Or just speculation? I think it will be great if there's a vaccine for negative people not to contract HIV! Even for poz people it would be great, cause people wouldnt be so scared to get in relationships with poz and hopefully the stigma would be reduced! The other news I saw on TV was about weekly (or monthly) injections, shots, replacing the dayly meds. Will this actually happen? They said it would be something like immune system injections. When should we be expecting this for? How long will it take until it actually becomes a current regiment for poz people? Any idea on how much the injections will cost? Are the side effects known? I'm excited to hearing back from you. Have a good day

Hello and thanks for posting.

Vaccines remain a critical tool in preventing or eradicating HIV- unfortunately, they're still at least a decade away, according to a leading expert. There continue to be a stream of new blurbs about tantalizing early phase data (trickled on a history of colossal and very expensive experimental failures). Likewise, recent data on gene therapy treatment grabbed headlines, but it will still take many years before we'll know for sure if we're on the pathway to a drug-free treatment or cure for HIV.

On a different note, long-acting injectable treatments for HIV treatment or pre-exposure prophylaxis are on the closer term horizon. Data presented at this month's CROI2014 conference on the investigational integrase inhibitor called GSK744 remain very encouraging, and the side effect profile looks very good so far. Phase three studies should launch this year, and if successful, we could be talking about a once-monthly injectable treatment regimen for people living with HIV.

Stay tuned, BY

Switching from atripla to epzicom+prezista+norvir
Hi