Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Vaccine and monthly shots
Mar 26, 2014

Hi doc Benjamin! How are you? I was watching a brazilian TV channel a couple of weeks ago and I saw two news there. One was about a vaccine for HIV that was in development, being tested in monkeys and they said it will soon be tested in humans. Is this a real hope? Or just speculation? I think it will be great if there's a vaccine for negative people not to contract HIV! Even for poz people it would be great, cause people wouldnt be so scared to get in relationships with poz and hopefully the stigma would be reduced! The other news I saw on TV was about weekly (or monthly) injections, shots, replacing the dayly meds. Will this actually happen? They said it would be something like immune system injections. When should we be expecting this for? How long will it take until it actually becomes a current regiment for poz people? Any idea on how much the injections will cost? Are the side effects known? I'm excited to hearing back from you. Have a good day

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

Vaccines remain a critical tool in preventing or eradicating HIV- unfortunately, they're still at least a decade away, according to a leading expert. There continue to be a stream of new blurbs about tantalizing early phase data (trickled on a history of colossal and very expensive experimental failures). Likewise, recent data on gene therapy treatment grabbed headlines, but it will still take many years before we'll know for sure if we're on the pathway to a drug-free treatment or cure for HIV.

On a different note, long-acting injectable treatments for HIV treatment or pre-exposure prophylaxis are on the closer term horizon. Data presented at this month's CROI2014 conference on the investigational integrase inhibitor called GSK744 remain very encouraging, and the side effect profile looks very good so far. Phase three studies should launch this year, and if successful, we could be talking about a once-monthly injectable treatment regimen for people living with HIV.

Stay tuned, BY

Previous
Switching from atripla to epzicom+prezista+norvir
Next
Hi

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.