3rd time on PEP in span of 5 years
Mar 24, 2014
Im a 28 year old gay male who rarely has sex..But my fate is whenever I have sex its disastrous.
Heres my 3rd time on PEP ( truvada + Kaletra) story.
My first time on PEP was Nov 2009, and it was the late Dr. Bob frascino (may The lord Bless him with peace and heaven) who answered it. My second PEP bout was self administered in 2012. This time its a little different.
Heres my story :-
1)Unprotected Anal sex with a man of unknown HIV status. 2) The guy was the receptive partner and I was the TOP. 3) Condom appeared fine till the end it was discovered that it was torn. 4) Penis to anal wall contact was present for a good 10 minutes of frictive sex. 5) Condom intergrity compromised due to lack of lubricant use.
6) Kaletra was available in the medical chest from the previous PEP tablets taken in 2012. And was administered in 20 minutes from the end of sexual act..Before leaving the house to drop him the kaletra was already in my stomach..Howver the Truvada was ordered and was taken at 22 hours after exposure.. Here lies the problem the kaletra tablets from previous regimen lasted me only for 10 days and after that I did not buy more kaletra..However im on day 23 of Truvada now.
Heres what happened
Day 1-10 post exposure Truvada + kaletra standard dosing taken.. Day 11-30 only truvada taken. What are the risks involved..Were the first 10 days on kaletra enough to prevent an infection.
PS: That guy gave me a nasty UTI urethritis and prostatitis. and even the LEVOFLOX wasnt working until a triple regimen of Levoflox + Cefixime + Doxycycline was given for 10 days and remaining 20 days on Levoflox alone.. My prostrate seems still inflamed.
will 10 days of kaletra provide sufficient protection against seroconversion. truvada is continuing for 30days.
should I do an Elisa antibody hiv 1/2 test after 3 months from ending of PEP ?
Response from Dr. Young
Hello and thanks for posting.
While your question is one without a lot of data, since many PEP guidelines recommend Truvada alone, that the limited time on Kaletra is ok- it may in fact be a better than only taking Truvada for the entire PEP treatment.
As for testing, yes; but you should have a HIV antibody test done at 3 months from exposure (not from PEP completion).
Hope that helps, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Sore On Mouth A Symptom Of Ars?
- Achy Balls After Handjob Worried I Have HIV
- Diarrhea After Oral Sex Hooker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Enlarged Lymph Nodes After Sex With Sex Worker Worried I Have HIV
- Erectile Dysfunction After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore On Tongue After Sex With Hooker Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.