life span after AIDS

In in 1996 I became hiv positive, and did not take any meds until febuary of 2006, after my labs showed a cd4 count of 4 and a viral load of 770, 000. After being on treatment since Feb of 2006, my cd4 count is 604 and my viral load is undectable, I know there is no "for sure" answer, but how long can one expect to live in a situation such as mine? I have no other on-going health conditions,

Hello and thanks for posting.

While (as you've pointed out) there's no "for sure" answer about any individual's survival, I'd think that you've navigated some dangerous shoals successfully. With your undetectable viral load, I'll assume that your adherence to medications is very good and (hopefully) that this is mated to a well tolerated regimen.

We have a growing set of clinical studies that inform us that people whose CD4 counts have reached the normal ranges of 500-750 have complication rates and life expectancy that mirrors that of the general population. To this point, the fact that you don't have any ongoing health issues is particularly good news.

To be safe, with your very low initial CD4 count, I'd be wary of the possible increased risk of certain types of non-communicable diseases (like heart, lung, bone disease) and have a proactive stance when it comes to preventive medical interventions- things like vaccinations, diet and exercise, tobacco reduction/cessation and laboratory monitoring for any organ disfunction (or medication toxicity).

Hope that's helpful, BY

HIV + and wants to have children
Truvada Resistance