HIV + and wants to have children

Hello Dr. Young, I am hiv + and my girlfriend is negative. I am healthy and undetectable for many years. we practiced safe sex with my girl so far. Now, we both are considering getting married and having children a normal (traditional) way. I lost sleep on this because she may get infected in the process. Please advise. Thanks,

Hello and thank you for your post.

There are a number of ways that magnetic couples can safely conceive a child- in the past, we'd have couples go through sperm washing and artificial insemination, but with today's expanding options- which include having the positive partner on HIV medications and the possibility of pre- and/or post-exposure prophylaxis for the negative partner make this a more straight forward process.

The recent PARTNER study suggests strongly that if you have an undectable viral load, your risk of HIV transmission to your partner via condomless sex is very, very low.

I'd suggest speaking to your HIV care provider about the best approaches for your situation.

Good luck and best of health to you both, BY

HIV tests after PEP
life span after AIDS