Cannot afford Lab test's, My Dr. won't renew prescription for Atripla

Hi...I earn a little too much to qualify for ADAP. Not a wealthy guy...pay check to pay check. On Atripla assist. program. At the Jeffrey Goodman Clinic in L.A., the lab tests are 1,800 dollars that I don't have. Without warning, my Dr. said she won't renew my prescription if I don't get labs and see her. On my fourth day without my meds...pretty concerned...where do I go? and how long can I live?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Paying for care and medications can be a challenge. I agree in principle that it's important to have routine clinical and laboratory monitoring to make sure that everything is working as expected. Moreover, it's the doctor's medicolegal responsibility to make sure that prescribed medications aren't causing injury (ie., we can be sued if we're not doing this part of care).

That said, it seems like there should be a way to get a sparse evaluation- quick clinic visit or limited lab evaluation to make sure that things are ok.

Seems like a conversation with your doctor (or one placed on your behalf by your case manager) might be a way to defuse the situation.

A brief interruption in your meds isn't the worst thing- in the short term, there shouldn't be any crisis in CD4 count or significant risk in drug resistance; but not having a functional relationship with your care provider can be a serious issue.

Hope that helps, BY

PEP
ple check the medicine