PEP

My condom broke without my awareness. My receptive partner said that he was HIV + but that he was on anti-viral medication and had undetectable levels of HIV in his blood. I started PEP 3 days later, anyway and just finished 30 days of Atripla 8 days ago. The medication caused unpleasant side effects (headaches, dizziness, loss of appetite and weight loss). I've had no rashes or flu-like symptoms thus far. Is this a favorable sign or has the infection only been suppressed temporarily by the Atripla?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Post-exposure prophylaxis medications are usually very effective infection. While it's reassuring that you've not had any symptoms of infection, only way to know if you had if you have HIV infection is to have antibody testing. This is recommended at 1, and 3 months after exposure.

Be well, BY

Hiv transmission from undetectable viral load
Cannot afford Lab test's, My Dr. won't renew prescription for Atripla