combivir+invirase+norvir vs kaletra+combivir

Hello, I am on combivir+invirase+norvir for the last 6 years. CD4 count is 640 and viral load is undetectable. I was put on this therapy because I was planning pregnancy but it did not happened yet. I am doing OK but diarrhea sometimes. My new doctor wants to change combination to kaletra+combivir. I am actually planning on getting pregnant within several months. Doctor explains decision of change that he worried about possible side effects of combivir+invirase+norvir. Is there any sense to switch these medications?

Hello and thanks for posting.

It's important to weigh the pros and cons of any treatment switch, particularly if you're doing well (and virologically suppressed) on your current regimen.

Kaletra is a more modern boosted protease inhibitor than Inverase/Norvir and is coformulated. I can't say that the side effects of the two are dramatically different, so the main advantage is that you'd be taking only two, rather than three different types of pills. I'd be wanting to know if you have a history of viral drug resistance or if there were other, better tolerated PIs available where you live. Here in the US, we'd tend to use atazanavir (Reyataz) or darunavir (Prezista) with Norvir, since both are better tolerated overall than Kaletra and a recent study suggests that Prezista has tolerability advantages.

Overall, it be ok to switch, as the performance of the two proposed regimens should be similar. Know that if you don't tolerate the new medications, you could probably just switch back.

I hope that's helpful, BY

3TC, Truvada and Isentress
Believe?