Oral exposure, PEP, Symptoms

I exposed myself by giving oral sex to a female prostitute (unknown status) and a tear happened on the bottom of my tongue. I know this is a risk of HIV, but do you feel it is likely? I was worried and went on 28 days of PEP at 40 hours (Truvada and Kaletra sp?), 1 day after coming off I got a sore throat, that was 3 days ago and still have it. If the symptom is related to HIV, would a test show that I have it? Thank you.

Hello and thanks for posting.

The HIV risk from oral sex is very, very low. Given that you had this type of exposure and was on PEP, your risk of getting HIV is vanishingly low.

Your symptoms of sore throat are not a characteristic symptom of acute HIV infection- at least not any more characteristic for HIV than a routine viral pharyngitis (sore throat).

I wouldn't be concerned about the sore throat, but with or without it, you should be planning on getting HIV tested at 1 and 3 months after your exposure. The later test, if negative, is considered definite.

BY

Cholesterol Question
Factors in lifespan with CD4 350+ versus 350-