I am wondering if my ARV treatment and my health would be affected by DMT and Psilocybin once off

Hi Dr Young,

I am Diagnosed since July 2013 and have been on ARV treatement since August 2013, My CDV is 500-700 and my VL is undectectable I am taking Norvir, Truvada and Prezista and I am wondering if one time DMT use and Psilocybin use would adversely harm my treatment or health. Thank you so much , Moss

Hello and thanks for posting.

In general, a single dose of recreational drugs is unlikely to have any dramatic effects on the effectiveness of HIV medications. The greatest harm caused by recreational drugs in this regard is causing you to miss doses of medications or your medical treatment plan.

For what it's worth, DMT is actually metabolized by one of the P450 cytochromes (called 2D6) into it's active drug. It's conceivable therefore, that your ritonavir (Norvir) might actually inhibit this process, making DMT less potent. Psilocybin is metabolized by glucuronidation, so it's unlikely to be affected by ritonavir (or your other HIV meds).

Hope that helps, BY

can anyone get aids by fear?
Resistant to most medications