The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Mt boyfriend recently found out he was postive

Feb 27, 2014

recently my boy friend tested positive after having sex only once. i immediately started using PEP which i have used for now 22 day since i was negative.but i love him so much and don't want to loose him what should i do so as to remain negative. please advise

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and sorry to learn about your BF.

It's entirely possible for you two to live full and sexual lives, without transmission of HIV from him to you.

First, if your boyfriend is engaged in his medical care, and if appropriate, starts on medications to treat his HIV, his health risks should be minimized and furthermore, his risk of transmission to you is dramatically reduced- this is in addition to the use of condoms and lubricant. We call this treatment strategy "treatment as (or is) prevention; TasP".

Second, get HIV tested (as you apparently have, since you're on PEP).

Next, make sure that you learn the optimal ways of safer sex. There are many pages devoted to this subject here at theBody, including this overview. Learn about condoms and lube, their many shapes, sized, flavors etc- this can increase your safety while increasing sensuality too. Last, have a conversation with your care provider about whether pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) is appropriate for you. This is a strategy of taking a HIV medication (Truvada) on a daily basis to prevent getting infected.

Hope that helps, and good luck to both of you, BY

Nervous about sharing drug cooker
westen bolt test indeterminate

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint