Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv and pep
Feb 19, 2014

Hi! Pls I need advise. Pls dont publish my name and email on the web.

I was engaged in unprotectd sex in Nov. 2012. Realising my stupid mistake, I went to A&E and 12 hours after sex, I was placed on PEP for 28 days. I dont know the guys HIV status. I completed the PEP, it was a nightmare, the side effects were terrible. I was tested on the following occasions: 1. 5 months after completing PEP - NR 2. 8 months after completing PEP - NR 3. 10 months after completing PEP - NR 4. 13 months after completing PEP - NR On all four occasions, I tested Non Reactive. The hospital used two Rapid Antibody Tests (Unigold and Alere Determine) on all four occasions simultaneously. I was told that PEP may delay seroconversion. With four Non Reactive tests and over a year now, I have started to put this behind me. For the whole of last year I had severe depression and everytime I feel ill I think about HIV. Recently on line, I read that Rapid antibody tests (the one I took, Unigold and Alere Determine) are inappropriate and that EIA or ELISA should be used for individuals that completed PEP. The nightmare is on again. Sometimes I just feel like giving up. Do you think the Rapid antibody tests I took post PEP, 5, 8, 10 and 13 months are appropriate and conclusive? I am scared to do more tests. I havent had any sexual activity since completing PEP in December 2012. I cant manage the anxiety anymore. Pls do not publish my name and email.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

PEP doesn't delay seroconversion. All that's needed is a HIV antibody test 3 months after your exposure.

You're multiple tests many months past this point are conclusive. Period. Negative.

(And don't worry, you didn't post your email address or name, so I can't, and wouldn't anyways share them.)

Be well, BY

Previous
Resistant to gonorrhea treatment?
Next
missed medication

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.