drug resistance

Doctor Is there hope for a person who has been diagnosed clinical resistant to most drugs, started using arvs in 1999 have been resistant for the past 7 years.Recently when I did resistance test I was told not resistant to all the drugs in the first regimen and resistant in third line regimen only now I am taking Atripla is it going to work?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Drug resistance is a very important thing to be mindful of when choosing HIV medications. A recent resistance test, if taken while off medications, doesn't reflect the full spectrum of resistance, but rather likely, only the virus that you were infected with. Resistant viruses go into hibernation of sorts during treatment holidays. What I do is to compile the full historical list of mutations that have ever been detected in your virus-it's this integral sum that reflects what resistance patterns may be present.

For more information about HIV drug resistance, check out TheBody.com's Guide.

BY

Stribild- left on doorstep overnight at low temperature
pep qestions