Is Zerit necessary with Truvada and Kaletra

I have been on a combination of Kaletra, Truvada and Zerit for 4 years. My VL is undetectable and my CD4 count is 920. I have a constant struggle with weight loss in my face and upper body, arms and legs. I would guess I am probably about 6 - 8 kilos under my normal weight consistantly and have little appetite most of the time. QAlthough I do make myself eat 3 times a day. I have heard some people say weight loss can be caused by the Zerit and that it is no longer necessary to take Zerit in combination with Kaletra and Truvada. Is this true?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Seems like your current regimen was prescribed because of earlier drug resistance. As such, it's important to understand the pattern of resistance that was detected before making adjustments to your medications.

Having said that, a regimen of Truvada and a boosted PI (like Kaletra; I'd prefer using Ritonavir/Darunavir today) would very likely be active against most viruses.

It's also likely that the d4T (stavudine, Zerit) is responsible for your fat loss- switching off of d4T would likely (if slowly) result in improvement in your subcutaneous fat levels.

I'd suggest speaking to your care provider about the best path forward. BY

Pep efficacy after 2 hours of exposure
can supplements be taken together at the same time as the first line treatment?