Fever

Hi, I just started my hiv treatment with (efavirenz, lamivudine, tenofovir) on 30th jan. The next day I began having fever which went as high as 38.7. Once I consulted my doctor, he said paracetamol could be consumed and that low grade fevers are common. Once I took paracetamol the fever subsided. However, the fever keep recurring and then going to normal temperature ever since. So some days I'm ok, other day I have fever with a temp of 37.5 to 38. Is it common? Hence the fever makes me feel all weak and affects my work. I am seeing my doctor again in a few days to see if the meds are suitable. But just thought a second opinion would be good.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Fever is common, and there are many possible causes of fever among people living with HIV and starting therapy- ranging from drug reactions to immune reconstitution reaction. Low dose paracetamol is ok to take, and if this controls the fever, this suggests (but doesn't prove) that the cause isn't serious.

I'd certainly suggest speaking to your doctor (ie., don't wait for the appointment) if you have any concerns.

Be well and let us know how things turn out. BY

HIV RESULT
tb...urgently please