Been on complera for 6 months. Can this or any other HIV drug cause strokes?

Hi there DR. Young. I was watching TV with my boyfriend earlier this evening. When I saw an ad on TV for a pill for those who suffer from bi polar disorder and depression. And the things that drug could possibly cause. I/E. Trouble breathing. Severe headache and possible stroke. Of course it had me thinking if those drugs can possibly cause that for those disorders. What can possibly go wrong with the drug I'm taking for combating my HIV. Which is complera. Can that cause us to have a stroke or heart attack. Please respond when you can find the time to reply.

Worried and frighteningly scared

Hello Worried and thanks for posting.

Stroke is not thought to be associated with any HIV medications.

As for Complera's toxicity, one mostly needs to be mindful of the tenofovir component- widely used and generally very safe, monitoring of kidney and bone health is recommended.

Heart disease is more common among positives than the general population- in part because of the virus itself (but controlling the viral load actually lowers risk), and in part because among populations of positives, there are greater numbers of people with risk factors, like tobacco smoking.

One of the encouraging things about HIV care is a heightened awareness of long term health risks and engagement in preventive medical approaches- like monitoring of blood pressure, diabetes and kidney health- as well as interventions to reduce tobacco smoking (albeit imperfect) and better diet and exercise- the things that should reduce the risk of long-term health complications.

Hope that helps, BY

PrEP for HPV or is Gardasil enough?
travelling to hong kong