Will a cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice before breakfast interacts with the hiv treatment?

Hi dr ben,

This is ed from malaysia. Million thanks to your valuable time, patience and advice to me during the course of my first line hiv treatment under tenvir-em and stocrin.

May I have your advice if a cup of fresh lemon juice before breakfast daily affects the hiv treatment ? Will lemon juice help in strengtheing our immune system and as well as to protect our liver by cleansing our digestion system without interacting with the medication ? My medication timing of the above is 10pm daily........

Happy chinese lunar new year to you dr if you are celebrating it.

Regards, Ed

Hello again Ed, good to hear from you.

There's no problem (other than sour taste) in drinking lemon juice with your HIV medications. The only citrus fruit that you should be mindful of is grapefruit, where high consumption may cause drug interactions.

Claims about immune strengthening or liver cleaning are just that. There's no evidence that this occurs.

Gong Hey Fat Choy and Happy New Year to you. BY

Oral sex
Atripla and crystal meth