Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

KS versus fungal meningitis
Feb 4, 2014

Can meningitis cause leasons My husband was just diagnosed with fungal meningitis but he hs leasons on his brain and lungs q mass in his heart... His v load was.10 almost a month ago cd4 not sure. He is only 39. We live in SE Oklahoma and have to travel 3 hrs to the doc. I am his wife of 9yrs and a CNA I also am AIDS poss. Been dealing with my status for 28yrs yea me!!! Anywho please help me understand this I'm confused.... Thank you the stewarts

Response from Dr. Young

Hello Ms. Stewart and thank you for posting.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's health. It's important for this discussion to know what fungus is causing the infection; among the most common causes fungal meningitis is Cryptococcus.

It's important to know that fungal meningitis is not contagious and requires long-term treatment with medications.

As for the lesions on his brain, lung and heart, it's tough to guess what the causes might be, but a rapid and detailed diagnostic strategy is in order.

In their sum, your husband's health issues would appear to be very serious, and I'm guessing that his CD4 count is low; he needs prompt attention and treatment of the opportunistic infections and immediate treatment for his HIV if he's not already receiving it.

Please feel free to write me back with any additional details or questions. BY

Previous
Recently diagnosed hiv +
Next
Thank You Nelson!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.