Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

In Reference to taking 900mg prezista
Jan 23, 2014

I had asked if it is ok for me to be taking 900mg prezista since only 300mg is available and you had said it is not the preferred dosage, would it be much better for me to take 600mg prezista /100mg ritonavir twice a day? Another question is that, am in Swaziland and the cases of T.B. seem to be on the high side, is there any vaccination that i can take to prevent T.B and how many times a year do i have to get vaccinated?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

With regard to the Prezista dosing, I don't think that there's a wrong approach. Either 900 mg/100 mg once daily or 600 mg/100 mg twice daily would both be acceptable, yet the second strategy yields a twice daily regimen.

Regarding TB, one of the most effective ways to prevent tuberculosis disease is to have a healthy CD4 cell count- for coinfected people, this means being linked to care and when appropriate, to be on HIV medications (and having an undetectable viral load, if testing is available). Increasing HIV treatment coverage has been shown to reduce rates of HIV in communities.

In many countries (but not the US), BCG vaccination is offered to some individuals (usually babies) to prevent TB meningitis. It's not very effective in preventing TB of the lung and is not given to people with HIV infection.

BY

Previous
Atripla or pep
Next
ARV all regimen response ends

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.