PEP Side effects, reversible?

Hi Dr Young,

I have recently completed a course of PEP, Truvada and Kaletra. My post PEP testing revealed raised cholesterol/triglycerides which I didn't previously have. My Dr didn't seem concerned at the result which was 2.4 (either LDL or triglycerides I can't fully remember) which he said was only 0.4 above the normal range and alos that it wasn't a fasting test and my lunch may have affected the results. My question is, if this was due to the PEP is this a side effect that will reverse now that the medications have stopped or is this something I will now have long term?

Many thanks

Hello and thanks for posting.

First off, was your post PEP testing done fasting? If so, then I would expect any drug-related increase in lipids (cholesterols and triglycerides) to be transient and reversible. If the tests weren't done fasting, then the values shouldn't be interpreted with the same normal ranges (or should be repeated in a fasting state).

Hope that's helpful, BY

liquid diet before exam
zithromax interaction with pep medication