Great meds!! But are we closer to a real cure at all?

Dr.Young. As one who is extremely thankful to be undetectable. I often wonder where we are with medicine and treatment for HIV currently, is that the best that it will get? Which in itself is definitely life saving. However, just thinking of researchers, professionals, and doctors such as yourself. There are continued new findings that help in understanding the HIV virus and possible soulutions yet one step closer to redemption of eradication. Right? Maybe? I don't know just figured I couldn't hurt to ask for you opinion. Thank you for your copious positive efforts in helping us.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Yes, HIV medications have come light years from the early and dark days of monotherapy and three-times daily dosing. I don't think that we're anywhere near done with drug discovery (though the attention and pipeline is (perhaps rightly) shifting to new targets, like HCV). Take for example, a set of new fixed-dose combo pills on the near term horizon or the prospect of very long-acting one-monthly injectable medications for treatment and prevention.

Eradication too is making terrific steps. First and foremost is the notion that eradication is possible. I wouldn't have said this just a few years ago; now I do, with a few very important first cases of HIV cure. The notion of eradication of HIV among newborns (brought forth by the pioneering work by doctors in Mississippi) should be enormously redeeming and portends a day on the near horizon when pediatric HIV/AIDS could be eliminated and a million lives saved every year. The story for eradication for adults with established infection is farther off (and perhaps the real aim of your question). I think that while the initial cases suggest the possibility through bone marrow transplantation, that it will still take undiscovered advances to make this a safe and effective reality for the millions living with HIV today. There is tremendous interest and new funding for the science that should hopefully pave the way to this important goal. But it will take time, patience and hope.

Copious thanks for your question and good health to you. BY

medication and protein supplement
Re: in regard to "great meds" post