Follow Up:Questions for Dr Young Many Thanxs

Dear Doctor Young :) Thank you so much for your answers. I forgot to mention: I m female , 33, and have a boyfriend who is HIV undetectable (diagnosed 2000, undetectable since 2006, he is doing very well).I m hIV negative, but have Herpes..... Can i try to take PRE-P and have unprotected sex (i read about it, but do not know if it is safe and which doses and substances are used in PREP?)

THANKS AGAIN

My best regards and good luck to you, And: I wish you All The best for your research.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) can be a very effective strategy to prevent HIV infection. PrEP has been shown to be effective in men who have sex with men, heterosexuals and IV drug users. Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) is the FDA-approved medication for this purpose. Truvada PrEP is safe when appropriately monitored. What's critical to the effectiveness of PrEP (like any medication) is adherence to the treatment.

The US Centers for Disease Control have issued background information and guidelines about the use or PrEP. These are valuable resources for patients and providers alike.

Your risk of acquiring HIV from your sexual partner is actually quite low, so long as he remains on treatment and maintains an undetectable HIV viral load; you should have a conversation with an experience provider to determine if PrEP is right for you.

Hope that's helpful, BY

Potential Cure Cognitive problem and hIV-memory loss
Arv side effects (aluvia and truvada)