|Questions for Dr Young
Jan 1, 2014
hello, Doctor Young, I have some questions regarding HIV: Could you please explain me this nano-formulated antiretrovirals? (how are they working, why doses decrease advantages disadvantages , etc??) Why docotrs (worldwide) donz give HIV-PEP after unprotected insertive oral sex? Because it is not a HIV-Risk at all? It can save lives .... (?) What do you think is the best medication for hIV-Infection at this time? Attachement Inhibitors, Integrase Inhibitors or Fusion-Inhibitors or other class ?? Is there any promissing HIV-vaccine (preventive and therapeutic) at this time?
Madlene from Paris
| Response from Dr. Young
Hello and Happy New Year to you.
1) Nanoparticle ART are a new strategy to formulate and deliver medications. The nanoparticles are like a microscopic sponge and allow for a lot of drug to be crammed into a small particle. The drug can then be slowly released from the particle over time. This has the potential to permit very infrequent dosing of medications. The first nanoparticle formulated meds are the experimental integrase inhibitor, called 744 for short and the NNRTI rilpivirine. Both may permit once montly, or perhaps less frequent dosing.
2) PEP and PrEP are both very effective in preventing HIV in risky situations. Insertive oral sex is very low risk. This is why most experts wouldn't recommend PEP after such exposure.
3) The best medications for first line treatment involve the use of 2NRTIs and a third medication. My favorite 3rd class are the integrase inhibitors. They are very potent and very well tolerated.
4) Vaccines... :-( Not much on the near term future, and indeed several significant setbacks. So it will be a while before we see either therapeutic or preventive vaccines on the menu.
Be well, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- How Do You Get Vd?
- Will I Have Hpv For The Rest Of My Life?
- Will Having My Genital Warts Removed Decrease My Chances Of Spreading It?
- When You Have Sex With Someone With Chlamydia Do You Immediately Get It?
- What Types Of Cells Does Herpes 1 And 2 Affect?
- What Is A Over The Counter Genital Wart Remover?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.