PrEP Truvada Isentress

Surgery & anesthesia. I'm having surgery coming in 8 days from now (surprise opportunity) out patient sedated IV. I don't want any drug interactions since I'm HIV Neg I can quit the meds. My family's dear old friend is doing the surgery while he's in town. I DONT want to chat about this situation with PrEP with him. Also my insurance is changing the 1st of the year and the surgery will cost me 5 time as much.

What the time frames the drug companies say for Isentress and Truvada to clear my system so it shouldn't interact with other medications?

Signed head spinning from the holidays,

JM

Hello JM and thanks for posting.

I'd like to think (ok, maybe dream) of a day where HIV prevention wasn't so stigmatized that your question was even a question.

If your PrEP regimen is only for HIV prevention, then it seems to me reasonable to hold the medications around your planned surgery (assuming that you're not going to have HIV exposures during this period).

FWIW, there are few drug-drug interactions with tenofovir/emtricitabine or raltegravir, so there's little risk of problems even if you were to continue taking your PrEP meds. Formally speaking, these drugs leave the body fairly rapidly so that in a matter of 2 or 3 days, there's negligible levels.

Hope that's helpful, BY

Which drugs to use for start therapy?
Side effects of Epzicom and Tivicay