|One drug for pep
Dec 27, 2013
I was exposed to hiv and decided to seek pep but only one drug was prescribed (alhvia). I doubt if this will reduce a risk. Is one drug enough for pep?
| Response from Dr. Young
You're correct that single drug therapy is not recommended for PEP. That said, if there was a single drug regimen to take, it'd be a boosted protease inhibitor like Aluvia (Kaletra). Monotherapy with boosted PIs are nearly as effective as three drug regimens for the treatment of chronic HIV infection.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can You Get HIV From Sex With A Prostitute?
- Blood In Semen After Receptive Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Cold Feet After Sucking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Fever After Licking Anus Worried I Have HIV
- Hairy Tongue After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Sore On Penis After Anal Sex Bottom Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.