Started PEP before negative HIV result

I started on a 28 day Truvada regimen for PEP today, 58 hours post exposure. While I was at the clinic, they took labs to asses for pre-existing HIV infection, as well as other STIs. From what I've read, it is very clear that one shouldn't start the Truvada before having a confirmed negative HIV test. If my HIV test returns positive later this week, will the handful of doses of Truvada that I had taken put me at risk of a drug-resistant strain?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Yes, it's really important to get an HIV test before starting post-exposure (or pre-exposure) prophylaxis. This is precisely the scenario were rapid HIV tests are very important.

Being on a two drug PEP regimen, like Truvada, would be insufficient for treatment of active HIV infection and there might be risk of developing drug resistance. This risk is generally low in the first days of treatment, so your "handful" of doses probably won't be an issue.

Good luck, BY

switching meds and hives
im on pep tenvir ema nd stocrin, my lower back is paining