Lipid profiles keep rising

my partner is on Norvir/Prezista/Truvada for many years with great success (undetectable & CD4 >700) but over last year his b/p has risen dramatically and his triglycerides and cholesterol have gone through the roof. Non-smoker and healthy weight. He is only 42 and has been Poz since 16 yrs old, no hx of OI's. he is afraid to change HIV cocktail r/t success but I am very fearful his b/p and skyrocketing lipids. he has had bad reactions to some "statin" meds...what can u suggest???

Hello and thanks for posting.

Seems like you're partner's doing well with regard to the HIV. It's relevant to point out that there might be other reasons why his cholesterols are rising (like diet, exercise, genetics or other medications). Also note that smoking is as big, or bigger risk for heart disease as cholesterol, so looking at the big picture is important here.

If one assumes that this HIV meds are the culprit, there are really only two options- either treat with cholesterol lowering medications (these statins can be very simple and well tolerated), or switch his medications. Among his medications, the protease inhibitors (especially Norvir) can cause lipid elevations- so switching from Norvir/Prezista to an alternate medication, like one of the integrase inhibitors may have the desired effect.

Hope that helps, BY

combivir and truvada
HLA B5701 does this mean I have HIV