Hiv and PEP

Im a 38 yr old healthy female. After unprotected vaginal sex lasting less then 5 minutes with a man took off the condom without my consent and that lied about having taken a test two months prior, actually never been tested and about having unprotected anal, vaginal with both men and women I was given PEP (Truvada, Norvir, Prezista) . Day 8 and im doing ok side effects wise but feeling so scared and violated. I saw an infectious disease specialist and started PEP almost 24 hrs later...... My doctor seems optimistic but im afraid that PEP wont work. The source is question refuses to take a test, I think he's a sociopath for doing what he did and probably has it or other stds. Im on the verge of a breakdown.

Post-exposure prophylaxis is very highly effective if started (as you did) within 72 hours of your possible HIV exposure and taken with good adherence. The PEP regimen that you were prescribed is a very reasonable and potent one.

Indeed, the risk after any single exposure is actually fairly low and the addition of PEP reduces that risk further.

What needs to be done at this point is the recommended HIV testing at 1 and 3 months.

Hope that helps, BY

truvada and tivicay
frastrated