what are the chances of getting infected??

hello dr. young i am a 25 years male.i had an unprotected sex with a girl of unknown HIV status. my friend has told me later that she is a professional sex worker.please tell me what are the chances of getting infected with HIV. i have started tablet DUOVIR (containing lamivudine+zidovudine) within 4 hours of exposure. please tell me what are the chances of getting infeted with HIV? are these medications good? how should i take these medicines? for what period? and chances of being HIV infected after taking these medications.

Seems to me that your risk of getting HIV from this exposure and subsequent PEP treatment is very low- well less than 1 in 100 to 1 in 1000.

The key to PEP is less about which medications (IMHO) and more about getting on medications soon after the exposure (as you have) and staying adherent for the full 28 days of treatment.

Remember that you should get HIV tested as part of routine health care- it's recommended for all people here in the US between the ages of 13 and 64.

Hope that helps and good luck. BY

Topvein
Superinfection