Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

carotid artery surgery and HIV

Dec 6, 2013

I have a friend that has been poz since 1991, and will be going in for surgery for the carotid arteries in the neck 90 percent blockage on the right 80 percent on the left, my friend in the last 10 years has never had an undetectable viral load but the copies were always low usual between 50-400 copies, my question the plaque that is in his neck: can it hold the HIV or aids virus with parts of the plaque breaking off and reinfecting the body allowing the body not to become undetectable.

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting your interesting question.

If your friend's viral load is undetectable, I'll assume that he's on medications to control the HIV. His medications therefore would be controlling his virus, whether in the blood, lymph nodes or in a atherosclerotic plaque. Reinfection in principle won't happen.

Hope that helps. BY

Previous
Urgent PEP assessment.
Next
HIV /Hep - B antibodies produced are same?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.