carotid artery surgery and HIV

I have a friend that has been poz since 1991, and will be going in for surgery for the carotid arteries in the neck 90 percent blockage on the right 80 percent on the left, my friend in the last 10 years has never had an undetectable viral load but the copies were always low usual between 50-400 copies, my question the plaque that is in his neck: can it hold the HIV or aids virus with parts of the plaque breaking off and reinfecting the body allowing the body not to become undetectable.

Hi and thanks for posting your interesting question.

If your friend's viral load is undetectable, I'll assume that he's on medications to control the HIV. His medications therefore would be controlling his virus, whether in the blood, lymph nodes or in a atherosclerotic plaque. Reinfection in principle won't happen.

Hope that helps. BY

Urgent PEP assessment.
HIV /Hep - B antibodies produced are same?