Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP treatment Time schedule crisis.
Dec 2, 2013

Hello, I have reason to believe I have caught the HIV virus through oral sex, this is what happen; He ejaculated in my mouth but I spat the sperm out quickly but I'm pretty sure some stayed in my mouth like the top gums and tongue. My mouths all scraped and cut from the braces I am using so I may have caught it, what are the risks that I did? 15 minutes later I downed a cup of water. And also we almost had un-protected anal sex but I stopped and im pretty sure he rubbed his pre-cum on my anus,I checked tonight in the shower and cleaned it because he was fingering with what I believe to be hand-lotion. So next 14 hours they took the blood samples for a test and I was prescribed Truvana&Kaletra and drank them instantly since my doctor asked me too. But my doctor left the room and the nurse didn't tell me my time schedule for it and we haven't recorded the time I first did it in the hospital. I'm going back there in 2 days for my HIV results, but I don't know if that is enough time for the drug to be effective since it won't work within 72 hours? It may of been 4:20pm or 5:20pm, does this mean if I miss one hour time schedule the treatment will be pointless? Are there any chances that I am taking? Will missing 1 or 2 hour gaps in the treatment affect it in any way? low risk or high risk & what are the risks of the sexual activity we had? Please reply, thank you.

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting.

Seems like your exposure risks were low; starting PEP promptly as you have dramatically reduces the risk of getting HIV. HIV meds aren't so picky about their timing, so as long as you take the pills twice daily (between 8 and 16 hours apart) there's not even a concern. One or two hours won't have any impact.

Hope that helps, BY

Previous
URGENT, VISITING NYC AND MY MEDS GOT STOLLEN
Next
Questions about recreational drugs, during first PEP treatment.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.