Am I doomed?

Hi Dr. Young.......My current cocktail consists of Isentress, Viread and Viracept. I am currently doing very well......undetectable VL and CD4's are 375. My concern is that I am resistant to FTC, 3TC, EFV and NVP. All of the newer HIV cocktails use either FTC and/or 3TC. If my current cocktail fails, it seems like I don't have too many other options as a salvage treatment. (Maybe Entry Inhibitors?) Am I in trouble if my current cocktail fails? I am very worried about this.

Hello and thanks for posting.

You're not doomed at all. From the resistance pattern you've listed, your virus has pretty limited resistance.

Indeed, I would consider a reevaluation of your regimen to see if there might be a way to simplify things- nelfinavir (Viracept) has really fallen out of the limelight, and there are much more durable and better tolerated protease inhibitor options (I'd consider using one of the boosted PIs, probably darunavir (Prezista) if that's available for you.

Either way, staying consistently adherent to your regimen is the best way to ensure that your regimen stays active and that you are able to preserve any future options.

Be well, BY

CVD and HIV
Surgery