Diagnosed hiv+ 8/11. Began Meds 4/13. What is life expectancy. I'm 51 y/I

My viral load was 4800 n T cell was 804 in 2011 newly infected Jan 2013 T cell 623 n viral 5k. Began Meds in 4/13. Complera.Viral load now undectable n cd4 796. What is approx life expectancy. I'm 51 yrs old Thank you. Mary

Hello Mary and thanks for posting.

Average life expectancy for people who access care and treatment (like you) on average is essentially normal. Indeed one predictor of life expectancy is the CD4 count that you start medications with- those who start with CD4s less than 350 (at least in Canada and the US) have a lower life expectancy than those who start with CD4s greater than 350. To this extent, your situation looks very good.

There is a lot of attention being drawn to the question of healthy aging with HIV- there appears to be increased risks of mental health problems, certain cancers, heart, kidney, liver and bone disease among positive populations. It's therefore important now that you've crossed the hurdles of medications and undetectable viral load to direct attention at all the preventive medicine issues, like cancer and osteoporosis screening, smoking cessation, diet and exercise (among many others).

I hope that helps, and please feel free to write back (for many years). BY

Can you gets spots or Kaposi sarcoma spots. Even if you're undetectable.?
nPEP KALETRA LAMIVIR and STAVIR swollen lymph glands