Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Treatment Naive with Resistance
Nov 23, 2013

Hi Doc, I'm trying to help a friend with low-English skills navigate being newly poz. He's very confused by the medical jargon, but doesn't want me to come to the doctor with him for cultural reasons (doctor is from his country and might perceive me being there as affirmation of my friends homosexuality). Thus, I'm trying to help him make sense of some of this second-hand.

He's treatment naive and has a viral load of about 12k and cd4 around 650. He suspects he's been poz for around 3-6 months. He also believes he contracted it in Central Asia, not the US.

His doctor told him that he cannot take Stribild because he is resistant to Edurant or ripilivine. Can you help us understand why that is? I thought that the main compound in Edurant was not in Stribild.

Also, how common is Edurant resistance in treatment naive people. I've not heard of it before. Particularly for someone who contracted in a part of the world where that drug is less common.

Thoughts?

Thanks, B

Response from Dr. Young

Hello B and thanks for posting.

If one assumes that your friend indeed has transmitted NNRTI resistance (to rilpivirine/Edurant), then I think that your question may be simply related to a misunderstanding. Rilpivirine is found not in the single tablet regimen of Stribild, but rather the single tablet regimen called Complera (or Eviplera in Europe).

Transmitted resistance to NNRTIs is quite common, but isolated resistance to rilpivirine is less so. To fully answer your question, it would be helpful to know the mutation pattern that the virus isolated from your friend has.

I hope this is helpful, and please feel free to write back. BY

Previous
hiv/aids and copd
Next
PEP, 2 or better 3 drugs?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.