Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pharms and Cures
Nov 20, 2013

Dr.Young,In having conversed with a few friends and one relative whom works in Pharmaceuticals, the topic of cure was discussed with HIV. I believe that it is possible but far far far far far off from coming into fruition. One of my friends happens to think that there is a cure but the political and money aspect of it is not allowing it to be released. And then the relative said "they have and will continue to make great medicines, but they won't make a cure, since it's the number one profitable disease for the pharmaceutical company". What are your thoughts on this since, you're the professional.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

I suppose the answer to your question depends on how one defines "far, far off".

IMHO, the field has made great strides towards cure- particularly in the setting of pediatric HIV, where I think it's now only an issue of social, political and financial will, rather than science or medications, that prevents us from curing, eliminating (did I say eliminate?) pediatric HIV- that's over a million souls every year. The same is probably true for acute HIV infection in adults.

With regards to a cure for people living with chronic HIV (the vast majority of those individuals currently living with HIV today), it's going to take a lot longer. Perhaps a far, far off time. While the results of Timothy Brown, and the Boston cases should certainly be a cause for celebration, it will take a considerable bit of time, luck and funding to translate these bone marrow transplantation strategies into something that can be done safely and cost-effectively for people who aren't balancing the risks/benefits of HIV and cancer.

I am not a conspiracy theorist in believing that it's a pharmaceutical industry secret or master plan not to have a cure- no more than I believe that the CIA planned 9/11. Probably HIV is a very difficult virus to cure because the beast lives, camouflaged in the chromosomes of human cells. It evolves very rapidly. These are features that make cure very challenging and orders of magnitude more difficult than, say, influenza or hepatitis C virus (by the way, we now do have cures for HCV- no conspiracy mastermind prevented that one from coming through the pipeline).

My 2c.

Be well, BY

Previous
hiv drugs and diet pills
Next
Re: Viral load and blips

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.