Low Cd4 & Virus load

I ve been tested Hiv positive in October 13 and today I got my second results (positive again). My results are CD4 counts 431 and virus load 28.400 I would like to know in which stage am I of infection as well as if that snapshot should be considered as a "good case scenario, good immune system". Moreover, my doctor said that I should start medication once my CD4 is below 350, is that a safe option, taking into consideration my very recent results?

Thank you for your precious time!

Lars

Hello Lars and thanks for posting.

Your numbers are "average"- that's to say that your viral load is in the typical range for an untreated person and CD4 count is in the normal range- at least for now.

Current treatment guidelines around the world (with the prominent exception of the UK) recommend treatment when CD4 counts are below 500. In the recent past the threshold was 350.

I support US treatment recommendations: to start treatment irrespective of CD4 cell count or viral load, but rather whenever the individual is willing and able to adhere to medications. A growing literature shows that there is benefit in preventing illness and death as well as dramatically decreased risk of transmission of the virus to others.

I hope that helps. Be well, BY

Viral load and blips
I have missed two dose of PEP in one week?