AZT induced anemia

Hi Dr Young, Read your page almost everyday.

I just start ARV 3 months ago with AZT/3TC/NVP. Im from Indonesia. My CD4 was 200 when i started. There is no side effect that i felt, but my Hemoglobin is dropping from 14.4 (g/dl) to 11.4. My leukosit also drop from 3.34 (10^3/mikroL) to 3.15.

Im afraid that it will drop further more, so i will ask my doctor next month if i can change from AZT to Tenofovir. But, I read that the combination of TDF/3TC/NVP is not that good and has higher chance of virological failure. Is it better that NVP also be change to Efavirens at the same time, so the combination be TDF/3TC/EFV. Is it okay to change two meds at the same time?

Or,is it better to stay with AZT/3TC/NVP, at least for a few months more, to see if it stabilize.

Im starting vitamin E, 800 IU yesterday. Trying to lessen the side effect of AZT. Your suggestion will really help me.

Thank you in advance.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Your anemia is only mild, and if you don't have any symptoms, it might not be necessary to change your medication. It's worthy to know if there might be other causes of your anemia, such as bleeding or iron deficiency.

You're correct in that in studies, people starting treatment with tenofovir/3TC/nevirapine was associated with higher rates of treatment failure than the similar regimen with efavirenz. It's not clear if this situation would apply for someone like you who has already been on treatment.

Having said that, efavirenz is generally recommended for use and it would be acceptable to switch both AZT and nevirapine at the same time.

Lastly, I don't typically recommend taking vitamin E supplementation- the data on it's benefit on AZT toxicity was only seen in non-human animal studies.

Hope that's helpful, BY

Generic Efavirenz
Just want to say THANK YOU