Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Eviplera and Twilight Sedation and Ant Acid Meds
Nov 13, 2013

Hi Dr, I have to have an endoscopy and would like to know what the ideal sedation drug would be for the 20 min procedure?

Also I need to be on anti acid meds for 6 months and I'd like to know the best one of choice to take as I know they can reduce the level of Eviplera in the blood. Thanks for reading, Michael

Response from Dr. Young

Hello Michael and thanks for posting.

There's no one best sedation medication for positives,but what is important is that your care providers know about all the medications that you're taking- including the Complera/Eviplera. This will allow them to avoid any unwanted drug-drug interactions.

As for antacids, it's very important to know that Eviplera absorption is affected by the type of acid lowering medication. Advice from the drug company:

*Do not take if you take a proton pump inhibitors for stomach or intestinal problems including esomeprazole (Nexium, Vimovo), lansoprazole (Prevacid), dexlansoprazole (Dexilant), omeprazole (Prilosec), pantoprazole sodium (Protonix), rabeprazole (Aciphex)

*If you take certain antacid medicines that containing aluminum, magnesium hydroxide, or calcium carbonate (for example Rolaids or Tums), you must take it at least 2 hours before or at least 4 hours after taking Complera/Eviplera

*If you take medicines to block stomach acid including cimetidine (Tagamet), famotidine (Pepcid), nizatidine (Axid), or ranitidine HCL (Zantac). These medicines must be taken at least 12 hours before or 4 hours after Complera/Eviplera

Hope that helps, BY

Previous
do I need Pep for protected vaginal sex?
Next
Time change

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.