Eviplera and Twilight Sedation and Ant Acid Meds

Hi Dr, I have to have an endoscopy and would like to know what the ideal sedation drug would be for the 20 min procedure?

Also I need to be on anti acid meds for 6 months and I'd like to know the best one of choice to take as I know they can reduce the level of Eviplera in the blood. Thanks for reading, Michael

Hello Michael and thanks for posting.

There's no one best sedation medication for positives,but what is important is that your care providers know about all the medications that you're taking- including the Complera/Eviplera. This will allow them to avoid any unwanted drug-drug interactions.

As for antacids, it's very important to know that Eviplera absorption is affected by the type of acid lowering medication. Advice from the drug company:

*Do not take if you take a proton pump inhibitors for stomach or intestinal problems including esomeprazole (Nexium, Vimovo), lansoprazole (Prevacid), dexlansoprazole (Dexilant), omeprazole (Prilosec), pantoprazole sodium (Protonix), rabeprazole (Aciphex)

*If you take certain antacid medicines that containing aluminum, magnesium hydroxide, or calcium carbonate (for example Rolaids or Tums), you must take it at least 2 hours before or at least 4 hours after taking Complera/Eviplera

*If you take medicines to block stomach acid including cimetidine (Tagamet), famotidine (Pepcid), nizatidine (Axid), or ranitidine HCL (Zantac). These medicines must be taken at least 12 hours before or 4 hours after Complera/Eviplera

Hope that helps, BY

do I need Pep for protected vaginal sex?
Time change